Why Use FLOAT Datatype?

From: Dagmar Anne Bogan <dagmara_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 17:13:35 GMT

All;

I'm reviewing a 7.3 ORACLE RDBMS that heavily uses the FLOAT datatype. I have not seen this before. In my research, it appears this is the same as using a NUMBER value. Anyone have any idea why the vendor would use a FLOAT datatype, and is this something I should be concerned about for on-going maintenance and support? I have two issues about this: first, I'm not sure if there is some unique quality to a FLOAT datatype that the DBA and developers may not be aware of (since they haven't seen this used before either), and I'm concerned that ORACLE may decide in the near future to use this datatype differently than the way this vendor decided to use it (which appears to be as a NUMBER value).

thanx in advance.
Dagmar Anne "Mad Dog" Bogan

Kopania & Komorovsky      Specializing in Data Architecture
Irving, TX  75060         and Enterprise IS Development

"Men's minds are raised to the level
 Of the Women with whom they associate" Alexandre Dumas Received on Sun Aug 08 1999 - 12:13:35 CDT