Re: Automatically sending e-mail or phone call from Oracle

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 15:52:34 -0400

It is just a programatic problem. There must be dozens of ways it can be handled. Here is one if you are using UNIX:

  1. Use dbms_pipe to send a string containing the text of the intended message.
  2. Have a listener process which is constantly waiting for a message to come down the pipe. This can be either a PRO-C program or perhaps a shell script. When a message arrives, format it as necessary and then send the mail message just as if you had entered it from a UNIX command line.

If you don't need a real-time solution then write the text of the message to a file with UTL_FILE and delimit each message with a detectable seperator (e.g. a string of '-' characters). Then have a cron job that runs periodically to determine if there if there is anything in the file and if so, format the message and send it.

Shouldn't be too difficult.

Ken