Re: file manipulation in pl/sql

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:28:53 +0800

Daniel Åhrlin wrote:

> hi!
>
> if i want to read or write to a file from within a pl/sql script, i'll
> use a package called utl_file. this package gives me access to the file
> system.
>
> but if i want to move files, copy files or list the contents of a
> directory, how do i do that?
>
> i've read that a package called dbms_pipe support this action, but i
> haven't found any examples.
>
> thanks in advance, danne :-)

dbms_pipe is used in an indirect fashion...

Namely you write to a pipe, and you have a second connection (from C or shell script) that reads the request from the pipe and issues an O.S level command. (In the case of the shell script, you spool the output from sqlplus to a file and then run the file)...

Go to: govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte and download PLEX which shows you how to do all of this. Alternatively, have a read about external procedures in Oracle 8

HTH
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Fri Aug 06 1999 - 04:28:53 CDT