8.0.5.-Linux-Connect-To.7.3.3-HP-UX-Server-Probs

From: Martin Braun <Martin.Braun3_at_de.bosch.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 05:52:32 GMT

Imagine a well configurated Oracle-8.0.5-installation on a SuSE-Linux-6 Box which can be accessed from local and remote without problems.

I now like to access an Oracle-7.3.3-Database running on a HP-UX-Box from this linux by using for example sql*plus. Therefore i use the same TNSNAMES.ORA as on a Win95-Box from where the connection to the HP-UX the access works fine. The local database is not started at this moment.

TNSPING for the TNS of the 7.3.3-Oracle is ok. So I think the TNSNAMES.ORA should be correct.

After entering the user/password in SQL*PLUS there is an ORA-01034: ORACLE not available - error message.

Is there anything special in entering the username/password when connecting from a 8.0.5.-client to a 7.3.3.-Server?

Are there any deamons to be run on the client? (for example like listener)?

What is to be noticed using either environment variables ORACLE_SID or TWO_TASK? Is there a simple guide about configuring Ora-8-Clients on Unix out there?

Any hints welcome.
Thank you.

Martin Received on Fri Aug 06 1999 - 00:52:32 CDT