Re: cost of Oracle 8 license for Linux Web server usage

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 11:06:12 +0100

I've just been quoted nearly 9000 UK pounds by Oracle for a 2-year license, for Oracle 8i used on a web site, running on a dual processor machine. Daylight robbery, in my opinion. The reason for the high cost is that Oracle make you buy an 'Unlimited Users' license, as they consider everyone who looks at you site to be a user.
I don't know the difference between Oracle8 and Oracle8i, but apparently they're the same price.

"Dennis G. Allard" wrote:

> I couldn't find an exact price quote on the Oracle Web site.
>
> Could someone clue me in as to what Oracle charges for the following
> kinds of licenses:
>
> Oracle 8 running on a single Linux box with one CPU serving as many
> connections as it can handle (where the clients are either remote or
> local to the Linux box).
>
> Oracle 8 running on a single Linux box with one CPU restricted to N
> connections, for N = whatever.
>
> (I am happy to know pricing for 'just' Oracle 8 -- I don't need any
> extra Oracle-provided E-commerce stuff or distributed transaction
> support -- just the vanilla RDBMS accepting plain old connections. But
> if anyone can, in addition, clue me in as to other Oracle 8 product
> pricing, that might be useful for others on this newsgroup -- Oracle 8i,
> for example).
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis G. Allard telephone: 1.310.399.4740
> Ocean Park Software http://oceanpark.com

Kevin Porter
Web Programmer
FAST Web Media
Suite 320, Sunlight House, Quay St, Manchester England, M3 3JZ

Phone: 44 (0) 161 835 3525
Email: kevin.porter_at_fast.no

Home Page:              http://www.fast.no

All The Web:            http://www.alltheweb.com