Re: Migration Sybase to Oracle

From: <jewels04_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 14:31:25 GMT

We evaluated the tool on the Oracle Technet site. Although it has some nice features, it would have taken more time to reformat our its output to conform to our coding standard than to do it manually.

Julie Alen
UIC In article <379E014C.8658211E_at_ieee.org>,   brenogomes_at_ieee.org wrote:
> --------------CE3D211B151CF4043B63DE6E
>
> I agree with Chris Weiss.
>
> Some tools can help migration. Visit http://technet.oracle.com (free
sign up)
> and search migration toolkits from Oracle Data & Migration Services.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris Weiss wrote:
>
> > I work in both Sybase and Oracle, and there is nothing that converts
> > procedure directly without significant re-programming, unless your
code is
> > trivial. T-SQL and PL/SQL behave differently and have significantly
> > different syntax with respect to variables, data types and
methodologies.

> > Plan on doing a significant amount of re-writing of your T-SQL.
> >
> > On the bright side of things....
> >
> > PL/SQL is a much more powerful language than Transact SQL. Oracle
8i adds
> > every feature from Sybase I would have wanted to see in Oracle,
making
> > Oracle 8i overwhelmingly better than Sybase. Even if you aren't
using
> > Oracle 8i's bells and whistles, you will still find it to be far
superior to
> > Transact SQL in most things.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> > Christopher Weiss
> > Professional Services Division
> > Compuware Corporation
> >
> > Udo Ottink <U.Ottink_at_mssys.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > are there any tools that helps us converting T-SQL-Procedures into
> > > PL-SQL-Procedures.
> > >
> > > So long
> > > Udo
> > >

> --------------CE3D211B151CF4043B63DE6E
>
> begin:vcard
> n:Gomes;Breno de Avellar
> tel;cell:+351 931 7383469
> tel;work:+351 931 7383469
> x-mozilla-html:FALSE
> org:Arquivo-Sistemas de Bases de Dados;Consulting
> adr:;;P. O. Box 5006;Porto;;4017-001;Portugal
> version:2.1
> email;internet:brenogomes_at_ieee.org
> title:DBMS Developer
> note:ICQ # 35567342
> fn:Breno de Avellar Gomes
> end:vcard
>
> --------------CE3D211B151CF4043B63DE6E--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 04 1999 - 09:31:25 CDT