ORA-04031: unable to allocate 4096 bytes of shared memory

From: Bruno Paquette <bpaquette_at_airtransat.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:35:52 -0400

Hi all,

First, I am using Oracle 7.3.2.3

I have create some stored procedures for some system and I have like 5 packages with bodies, 6-7 functions and 6-7 procedures.

When I execute my "main" procedure which calls all 5 packages and functions/procedures related to it, I receive this message saying that I don't have enough shared memory since it`s unable to allocate 4096 bytes.

My shared_pool_size parameters is set to 6000000. Is it enough ?

In the Oracle 7 server messages it says that more shared memory is needed than was allocated in the operathing system (Unix, Solaris) process. SGA private memory has been exhausted.

The actions proposed are :
Using the DBMS_SHARED_POOL package to pin large package

      But how ? :)

Reduce your use of shared memory

      humm.. how ?

Increase the value set for the SHARED_POOL_SIZE initialization parameter

     I have tried to set it to 9000000 but the Database won`t restart saying that something doesn`t work.

We don`t have DBA here so it`s like do what you can to make it work but make it work..

Any tips ?

Thanks a lot,

Bruno Paquette
bpaquette_at_airtransat.com Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 12:35:52 CDT