Storing lots of text - the best way?

From: kev <kevin.porter_at_fast.no>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 13:05:47 +0100

Hi,

I'm just wondering what is the usual way of storing large bodies of text in an Oracle DB. varchar2's no good cos it only allows 2000 chars max. I could use several of them to store a single article but that seems like a kludge. Alternatively, I could just store the filename, which I could retrieve (using PHP on our website), but it would be nice if I could store it all in the DB (as you can in Access). Are BLOBs the key to this? Or the ConText cartridge? (if I have to pay extra for that I want to avoid it).

How do you tackle this aspect of DB design?

Thanks in advance,