Re: ROWNUM in SQL statement

From: James Lorenzen <james_lorenzen_at_allianzlife.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 19:01:36 GMT

The ROWNUM pseudo column is populated as the rows are returned to the where clause. The first row returned is ROWNUM = 1, since it is not greater than 1, it is discarded and the next row is returned, since the first was discarded, the next row also has ROWNUM = 1, and it too is discarded. This will continue for as long as there are rows to discard. The use of ROWNUM in the where clause is usefull for ROWNUM less than or not greater than some number.

HTH
    James
In article <933611964.311850_at_virtual.netlab.sk>,   "jst" <jst_at_pobox.sk> wrote:
> When I can use in SELECT, INSERT statement the condition WHERE ROWNUM
> 1,
> no rows are selected, only if I use condition ROWNUM =1 (only number
1). All
> other possibilities are ignored.
>
> Why???

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Aug 02 1999 - 14:01:36 CDT