Long Strings in Oracle

From: Hank Riehl <hankr_at_skillview.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 08:09:35 -0400

We'd like to add the capability for our application to store an employee's resume and permit management to run keyword search queries against the resume library using LIKE or CONTAINS in the WHERE clause.

Oracle 7.x seems to have a 2000 character limitation on the VARCHAR2 datatype which is too few characters. The Oracle LONG datatype does not permit references to it in a SQL WHERE clause.

Any ideas on how to achieve this functionality? I can't believe that Oracle's character-handling is so restrictive.

Thanks... Hank Received on Mon Aug 02 1999 - 07:09:35 CDT