Re: parsing sql-statements

From: R. Nightingale <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 11:14:55 -0500

You could break up your statement into two or more statements.

  1. Use INSERT to insert those fields of your record that make up the primary key. The other fields will be NULL.
  2. Use UPDATE to update those fields in the records. Your where clause will contain the fields in your primary key.
  3. Break up your largest field into many smaller fields and use a trigger (AFTER UPDATE of ROW) to concatenate them into one large field for reading. A view of the table could accomplish the same thing, but a read time instead of update time.

The other approach is to use BIND variables. Update each of the bind variables before you call your insert statement.

Why you have a 700 character his limit is beyond me. But there are always ways to get around it.

--rn.

Jan Smit <jansmit_at_microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7nhgm5$8b0$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl...
> Hi!
>
> I'm using Oracle 8.0.5 and I'm trying to add things to a table using
Visual
> Basic 5.
> Turns out that SQL-statemants are parsed to about 700 characters. Is there
> way to increase this number, or an easy work-around?
>
> I'd be VERY greatful for an answer!!
>
> The command I'm trying to send is:
>
> INSERT INTO PATENT
> (PN,PNTYPE,PNDATE,AN,ANDATE,ET,FT,DS,PR,MC,IC,PA,INV,VERWERKT) VALUES ('WO
> 1234567 A1','WO', TO_DATE('01-01-1998','DD-MM-YYYY'),'US 1234567',
> TO_DATE('01-01-1998','DD-MM-YYYY'),'CONDUCTIVE POLYMER COMPOSITIONS,
> ELECTRICAL DEVICES AND METHODS OF MAKING','COMPOSITIONS POLYMERES
> CONDUCTRICES, DISPOSITIFS ELECTRIQUES ET PROCEDES DE ATION','AL AM AT AU
AZ
> BA BB BG BR BY CA CH CN CZ DE DK EE ES FI GB GE GH HU IL IS JP KE KG LC LK
> LR LS LT LU LV MD MG MK MN MW MX NO NZ PL PT RO RU SD SE SG SI SK SL TJ TM
> UA UG UZ VN YU ZW GH GM KE LS MW SD SZ UG ZW AM AZ BY KG KZ MD RU TJ TM AT
> BE CH DK ES FI FR GB GR IE IT LU MC NL PT SE BF BJ CF CG CI CM GA GN GW ML
> MR NE SN TD ','US 8/986,889 971208','H01B- 01/20','H01B- 01:22, H01B-
01:24,
> H01C- 07:02, C08K- 03:04, C08K- 03:08','CBS CORPORATION','SADHIR,
Rajender,
> K.; SAUNDERS, Howard, E.; SCHOCH, Karl, F., Jr.; SMITH, James, D.,
B.','N');