Re: Which NT to install

From: R. Nightingale <nighr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 20:16:42 -0500

I've installed Enterprise Edition on both. Seems to work fine. My four-processor machine came with WinNT Server already installed, where my single processor machine was. It seems that Dell BIOS is sensitive to which version of OS you're using, so I use whatever they tell me to use. NT Server has a setting that isn't present on NT Workstation about shifting processing priority to network applications vs. disk serving in the Network icon in Control panel. But I wouldn't call that a $400 value add.

Your Oracle downloads are version 8.0.3, which has some known bugs. My version of Oracle is 8.0.5 because it's properly licensed. I'm sure your sales rep can get you an evaluation copy of Oracle for Sun/Intel if that's what you really need. I'm guessing that if you're working for an organization that doesn't properly license its software, they probably aren't paying your worth either. If you're willing to relocate to western suburbs of Chicago, send me your resume.

As far as your $50 charge, too bad it's not enforceable. You see, you've posted to a newsgroup (a public forum) with your e-mail address in the clear (able to e-mail you). In the body of your message you have solicited factual information from a large host of anonymous sources. Replying to your e-mail address in addition to the newsgroup just enhances the probability that you might receive this reply.

Have a nice day.
--rn.
nighr_at_hotmail.com