Re: specifying length of return VARCHAR2

From: <gregory_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 20:07:15 GMT

Jonathan,
You are quite right; and I am quite embarassed. I _thought_ I saw it work! When I then read your table example, I thought that it may only work in views. But, I double-checked the result I thought I had seen, and -- it does not work.

Please accept my apology. Though I'm not fond of making mistakes in public, I can say that _you_ have saved me a good deal of trouble by double-checking my report: I was all set to edit a bunch of views to get rid of those obnoxious SUBSTR() calls!

Now I just have to figure out what I _did_ see. If I come up with a missing piece to the puzzle, I'll reply again.

Thank you.
-Greg

In article <933458544.25078.2.nnrp-01.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk>,   "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I think I may have to withdraw my vote on that one.
> I broke Rule #1 - if it looks good, test it.
>
> Can you post an example that demonstrates this
> to be working, the following suggests that it
> doesn't (run against 8.0.4 and 8.1.5)

[snipped by Greg]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sun Aug 01 1999 - 15:07:15 CDT