Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Tom Kingsley <tkingsley_at_systemprot.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 00:58:31 GMT

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:51:01 -0400, Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com> wrote:

>My biggest mistake was in not noticing the 'uk' in the originator's email
>address. No wonder the message contained so much whining.
I cannot believe how anyone could be so shallow and blatantly racist simply because you lost an argument. What's UK got to do with Oracle lacking functionality?

>How many years have you been around programming 2? 5? Almost twenty years of
>experience has shown me that I have always been able to satisfy the
>requirements of the project design if I'm willing to work hard and not spend
>all of my time moaning and complaining about what some environment lacks.
So 20 years "experience" makes you better, I think not. It is common knowledge that most of the World's best developers / innovators are under 30. Which is why the likes of Lotus, Microsoft, Oracle hire them. I would suggest 20 years makes you stuck in your old ways.

>As for Feuerstein the "expert" - he is another whiner and complainer and there
>are many instances in his book which indicate that he, like you, simply does
>not understand how the Oracle rdbms and tools operate. I keep his book handy
>for a quick refernence on some algorithms but I'd be embarrassed to turn in a
>project where I coded according to his methods and style. My employers expect
>better quality and I give it to them. Feurerstein's only claim to fame is that
>he wrote a book that got published by O'Reilly and is therefore widely
>available. That does not make him an expert. As for his contention that pl/sql
>is a "programming language" rather than just a progra
Feuerstein is an expert, whines where? I doubt very much that your code is better quality than his. Why is he World Renowned in Oracle circles giving seminars, lectures writing papers and contributing his experience, and yet I've never heard of you?

>Weenieism is best kept in academic environments. It doens't work well in the
>real world of programming. Oracle provides a very powerful RDBMS which works in
>a consistant manner and, if used properly, is an excellent choice for any MIS
>setting that requires a database. If you don't like it then go back to IMS, RPG
>or CICS.
>
>As for "petty" - If being petty keeps putting large checks in my bank account
>then I'll keep being petty - it has worked pretty well so far and I don't have
>to live in the U.K. I'd never work for Oracle either - they don't pay enough
>and prefer to keep young, inexperienced programmers on their staff because the
>prefer sheep rather than shepards.

You are petty and shallow if large checks turn you on. As for your comments on the UK, I just think you are a extremely racist and defamatory, the Oracle forums do not need this, go elsewhere and be bigoted. Basically you lost an argument, and petty is not near apt enough a description for you.

Tom Kingsley Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 19:58:31 CDT