Re: Oracle #1? Then why are these still missing...

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 20:57:34 +0100

Ken wrote:
> I guess this is the young crop of programmers that are coming up these
days. In
> my early years in the business we even had to write assembly language
routines
> to handle certain tasks - most programmers these days don't know a MOV
from a
> LD.

I certainly don't. But then, I don't need to.

> These things you are speaking about simply are not impediments to getting
> tasks done.

Yes they are. They don't actually stop things getting done, but they require code-arounds and thought, and so they slow down development. I like to concentrate on bringing the most functionality I can to my users in the shortest amount of time. The fact that special code has to be written to do these things makes them take longer.

I like Oracle - it's great. Some of the PL/SQL features are brilliant. But that doesn't mean it's perfect: it can be improved. And the original writer in not wrong in some of his assertions (if written a little strongly). I too get fed up sometimes of a system which is not as responsive in its languages, feature and tool as it might be.

As for your views on the UK being a bunch of whingers, it is interestingly the guy from the UK who seems to have a 'let's get this thing fixed so it works properly' whereas you (from the US?) have a 'We've got what we've got, so we'll pretend it's all OK and work with it' attitude.

Given that the national stereotype (from this end, anyway) is that the Brits put up with things, whereas American complain in order to improve things, this is rather an interesting reversal.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
In the whingy old UK Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 14:57:34 CDT