Search engine like behaviour for result sets?

From: <RyanO_at_aclweb.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:25:33 GMT

Hi All,

We have a database of products in Oracle and we need to place search functionality within the project now. To make the results readable we need to display them a set at a time, such as a search engine does.

Our simple select procedure is as follows:

	Procedure RetrieveAllProducts(ProdCur OUT curProd) Is
	Begin
		open ProdCur for select * from Products;
	End RetrieveAllProducts;

This works well with our environment (Active Server Pages are used to call this function from NT Server).

We now need to limit the result set so that we can 'window' through them a page at a time. For example, we want to say 'use the search term "joe" and give the tenth through twentieth records'. If a user decides to see more then we issues the same query, but from the twentieth record onwards.

We cannot guarantee the order in which the results are returned, or that there is a column with an ID which we can use to filter.

Any ideas?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jul 28 1999 - 05:25:33 CDT