NEED HELP WITH "DATE" FORMAT

From: Azam Mirza <aamirza_at_uno.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:57:46 -0500

Hi
I am loading some data into tables and one of the fields that is coming in is a date field. It is in a two digit format. Now on querying this data it shows me all those dates before 1949 as 2049 or so. I know this is because of 50 year pivot of date format that oracle uses and this is the default. Is there any way to change this and make it a 30 to 70 year break up??.
If my question is not clear it is as follows: The Oracle's default format of date of two digit is 'RR' type and any date less that 50 years from today it will be considered THIS century and any date more than 50 years from today it will be considered the NEXT century. Can I change this format to 70 and 30 year format instead of 50-50??
I will really appreciate some help here. my e-mail address is aamirza_at_uno.edu
Thankx
azam