Re: ODBC vs Pro*c or OCI

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 03:36:44 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:38:45 GMT, Furkan Khan <khanf_at_home.com> wrote:

>Folks, I am building a very high performance
>distributed application for the internet. I have a
>minimum requirement of at least 400 transaction/s (profiled on
>low end solaris box).
>
>What are the pros and cons of using ODBC vs pro*c or OCI ?
>I am interested in performance issues/experiences using
>ODBC. How is connection pooling in Oracle ODBC driver ?
>Are there any gotchas with ODBC for high performance
>solutions ?

Lots of replies about slow ODBC. ODBC can be as fast as the OCI if

  1. You have a good DB design
  2. You have well structured queries
  3. Your programmers know what they're doing.

Intersolv had some nice tests two years ago showing ODBC to be FASTER than OCI for inserts and deletes (though YMMV). ODBC means you aren't tied to Oracle's proprietary technology.

Pro*C has the usual proprietary gotcha's, but seems to perform nicely on the sites I've seen it.

Ciao
Fuzzy