Re: Tablespace Sizing Problem

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:25:13 -0400

Hi Joe,

    First, you have been reading old material. It has been proven that
unless you have a very large number of extents (dozens if not hundreds)
Oracle performance isn't affected -- unless you are running a single
user system and don't have enough RAM.

    The best strategy is to create default storage for each tablespace, making
the initial and next extents the same size, and using the defaults for everything
in the tablespace. Since Oracle prefers to read/write 64K bytes at a time your
default storage sizes should be a multiple of 64K.

    This strategy, when combined with accurate PCT_FREE and PCT_INCREASE
parameters will yield a well tuned database -- then all you have to worry about is
tuning the individual queries.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

Joe Condle wrote in message
<379DE770.61E75E61_at_mars-systems.com>...
>I created a set of tables that run in the default tablespace
called
>data. I know want to move or recreate these set of tables in
their own
>tablespace. I know how many blocks each table takes in the
existing
>tablespace and the number of extents. From this information how
can I
>create the new tablespace to work efficiently? From what I have
read
>the database should reside in one extent. In the current
tablespace one
>the tables has three extents. If anyone can point me in the
right
>direction or give me a suggestion I would apprciate it.
>
>--
>Joseph P. Condle Jr. condle_at_mars-systems.com Office
412-648-1379
>Senior Systems Engineer Fax
412-647-9661