Re: Problem: database table/index sizing for Sum Length Columns greater than Available Data Space

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:10:51 -0400

Hi Brendan,

    I am almost certain (oops, place foot firmly in mouth) that the default block size for NT for Oracle 7.3.x and 8.0.x is 2048.

    If you check your init<sid>.ora file you should find a parameter:
"db_file_multiblock_read_count". Multiply that value by your block size and the result is the number of bytes Oracle is going to read -- regardless of the size of your tables.

    Based on your large row problem you should set the blocksize to the maximum that Oracle will support on NT and don't worry about how much extra space your small tables will need.

    I understand your concern about wasting disk space but consider; if you change your database block size from 2K to 16K you won't lose that much disk space. Assume 1000 tables that each fit into a 2K block. After you change to 16K your 1000 tables will require 16MB of disk space as compared to 2MB.

regards
Jerry Gitomer