Re: SQLPLUS: how to make results appear in a line fashion

From: Jeff Guttadauro <jeff109_at_NOSPAM.netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:05:17 GMT

It also would just plain not work. The union would still give you the values one per row. The only way that I can think of doing this would be to create a function ( inline_joe_col2, for example ). Then you would do a "select inline_joe_col2 from dual;" This function would create a cursor as select col2 from joe and loop through it, concatenating the value to a variable, which would be returned by the function when it finished. You could use the DBMS_SQL package to make the function be applicable to any column in any table, but you get the general idea. This question seems to be asked a lot. I think a few people have said that they have solutions on their web sites, but I'm not sure who or where. Oracle would probably make a lot of customers happy if they made a function to do this.

Hth,
-Jeff Guttadauro