Re: system user and grant

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:18:49 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Fred Ruffet" <fruffet_at_kaptech.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:20:33 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just install a new Oracle8 Database, and I'd like to know something :
>Is it normal that the system user can't grant privileges to other users.
>
>I've created two users : Superman and Batman.
>I've created a table with the Superman user.
>I'd like to grant Batman the right to proceed to selects on the table.
>System can't but Superman did it... I don't understand why (maybe it's
>because it's Superman...)

you cannot grant access to anothers table unless you have been granted the privelege to do so. for example, as superman if you had:

SQL> grant select on T to system with grant option;

Then system would be able to grant select on T to others.

>Just another thing : Is it possible that a user selects a table from another
>whithout specifying the name of the owner. I mean, for example, is it
>possible for Batman to do
>" select * from friends; "
>instead of
>" select * from superman.friends; "
>if Superman is owner of the friends table ?

synonyms. either:

>Thanks,

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Jul 27 1999 - 08:18:49 CDT