long insert-statement

From: Roland Kopetzky <kopetzky_at_ike.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:45:48 +0200

Hello experts,

I have a very wide table. It contains more than 100 attributes. Now I want to build a mirrored table and then I want to find out the differences between the tables. This would be easy using the minus function and writing the different attributes in a third table, the difference table. Now I want to add two columns to the difference table, a timestamp and the information whether the row has to be inserted, updated or deleted from the mirrored table to get them equivalent. I need the difference information somewhere else, therefore I can not build a new mirror-table, but I have to manage the changings.

How can I write inserts like:
Insert into differences values (attribute1,...., attribute100, sysdate, 'insert');
when the attributelist contains more than 100 attributes. Running this on Oracle 8 on NT, the worksheet can not manage insert-strings longer than 255 characters.

What is the solution for this?

Yours sincerely

Manfred Tischendorf (tischendorf_at_arkusa.de) Received on Tue Jul 27 1999 - 01:45:48 CDT