Re: Oracle vs. Progress

From: Ed Prochak <prochak_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:26:16 GMT

In article <7n5e7f$783$1_at_news1.norlight.net>,   "JB" <jbach_at_parts-unltd.cm> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> We're on the verge of rolling out a new Warehouse Management System.
One
> finalist (my vote) bases their app on an Oracle db. The other
finalist (boo
> hiss) bases their app on Progress. So far, the most most common
response
> has been "Who's Progress?" But beyond that no one has been able to
offer me
> advice or opinions on which db is better (better in a general high
level
> sense of the word). Is there someone out there who can offer 25
words (or
> so) on Progress vs Oracle?
> tia
> JB

I looked at them for one client about 5years ago. They were one of three finalists products. The target was much different (embedded system), so they did not fit all of the needs.

IF I remember correctly, they were big in the meteorology field. That is, their RDBMS could handle lots of blobs quickly. They were competitive to ORACLE in other ways also. I do not remember much else from that evaluation.

They do have a web site (progress.com) so check that out for a start. I can provide further evaluation if you want. Call my office and leave a message.

--
Ed Prochak
Magic Interface, Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 11:26:16 CDT