Re: Smaller Pro*COBOL exe's ?

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:00:43 -0400

Rocqueforte O'Leary wrote:

> G'day,
>
> Has anyone out there had any success in reducing the size of Pro*COBOL
> executables ? We're currently running Oracle 8.1.5 (with Pro*COBOL 8.1.5)
> on Digital Unix 4.0F using DEC Cobol V2.4-896, and the "sample1.pco" demo
> program compiles up to executable of ~10mb in size (~7mb if you do a
> "strip" on it) when you use the Oracle supplied make file
> ("demo_procob.mk").

Are you using '-dn' as a option in CFLAGS or elsewhere? If you are then you are using static linking for all external routines. I'm not sure about Oracle 8, but in oracle 7 the library routines for Oracle are stored in archive (.a) files and are not supplied in (.so) form, so the only option is to have static linking for the Oracle library routines - however, as long as the compiler uses '-dy' the link-edit step will use dynamic linking where possible and static linking where required. If you use '-dn' then both Oracle and Unix routines will be linked staticly and that will surely increase the sizeof the executable. Also, make sure you are not using -KPIC unless absolutely necessary as that will increase the size of the executable as well.

Most version of make have a means whereby you can tell it to output everything that it would normally do without actually executing it. It spits out a ton of stuff, but if you look through it you should be able to see exactly how the compiler/linker are being called.

Ken Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 08:00:43 CDT