Re: service name

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:40:01 -0500

Dan wrote in message <37949890.63764BB8_at_onshare.com>...
>When I set up Oracle, I specified a DB name, and this appears in the
>init ora file.
>
>However, I can only connect to the database by leaving the service name
>blank. So far this hasn't been a problem, but i could see it as an
>issue for networking and other things.

If the database is installed on an NT box, then the registry contains information about your "home" database. When you try to connect to a database and you leave the Service name blank, it looks in your registry and links to the "home" database installed locally on your machine.

To connect to other databases, you need to add them to your tnsnames.ora file.

Hope that helps,
Brian Peasland
peasland_at_msn.com Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 21:40:01 CDT