Re: Diskless DOS clients for Oracle?

From: <jedi_at_dementia.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:25:17 -0700

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 07:12:05 GMT, vcmathew_at_my-deja.com <vcmathew_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
> We are a rural hospital serving the poor
>villages in outlying India. Our organization,
>Christian Medical College of Vellore, has about
>150 diskless DOS PC's which remote boot off of
>a Novell Netware 3.11 network and run a DOS FoxPro
>client to access a FoxBase server.
>
> We would like to upgrade this FoxBase server to
>an Oracle RDBMS, but we weren't sure how the
>client side would be affected: we can't afford to
>replace the nodes, so we need client software that
>can run on 386's with no hard drive. If worst

	Do you think you could implement your interface via
	a webserver/webpage based approach? If so, you could
	put up a php-apache webserver or some other form of
	html based application server and just run WebSpyder
	on your DOS machines.

	In my limited experience thusfar, oracle-odbc doesn't
	seem 'thin' enough for the hardware you're talking
	about. I don't think a jdk+jdbc solution work work
	for that same reason either.

	See www.php.net.

>comes to worst, then a minimum client
>configuration would be a 486 (again diskless).
>
> I was wondering if there is some way to develop
>DOS applications for a front end that would make
>SQL calls via ODBC to access the Oracle server.
>The client software would have to be obtained upon
>bootup, after remote booting off the NetWare
>server. We are all medical doctors, not computer
>people, so help in this area would be much
>appreciated.

[deletia]

--

It helps the car, in terms of end user complexity and engineering, that a car is not expected to suddenly become wood chipper at some |||

arbitrary point as it's rolling down the road.                       / | \

			Seeking sane PPP Docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com