Re: ODBC vs Pro*c or OCI

From: Johan Wegener <xjwegener_at_xpost.xtele.xdk>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:13:11 +0200

premal_shah_at_my-deja.com wrote in message = <7n4p3l$v6i$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
[snip]
>OCI documentation claims (though we have not tried it yet) that it
>supports multi-threading and Oracle ODBC is supposed to have been
>implemented using OCI.
>
>Could you please shed some light on the matter? We are eager to know
>what is the solution to the problem.

[snap]

The Oracle ODBC driver - the one provided by Oracle, not a third-party = driver - has not necessarily been implemented using pure OCI. Oracle = developers usually implement system software using a low-level "Oracle = API". Utterly undocumented to outsiders, this API is reportedly called = the "Oracle Programming Interface (OPI)".

As OCI and Pro*C both calls the OPI layer, I doubt that there is much of = a performance lead of one over the other.

As to your problem, this is what I found in my 8.0.5 Oracle ODBC = documentation:

Oracle8 ODBC Setup Dialog Box->Application Options->Enable Thread = Safety:
"thread safety can be disabled for a data source. If thread safety is = not required, disabling this option eliminates the overhead of using = thread safety. By default, thread safety is enabled."

Regards,
Johan Received on Thu Jul 22 1999 - 07:13:11 CDT