Desperate Newbie:

From: zman <zahid_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:33:43 -0400

Hi. This is my first time using Oracle and I am starting off using Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition for NT.
I've bought two books on the subject and went through the Client and Server install process exactly like it says in the books. However, I cannot connect to the server from the remote client no matter what I do.

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone could answer some questions for me:
1.] Once the server installation is complete, do I need to run NetEasy Config or anything else so that the Listeners are running? 2.] Once the Client installation is complete, do I need to run any other

configuration utility so that it can recognize the server database?

I get these errors when I try to run SqlPlus 8.0 from the client and try

to connect to the server database:

ERROR:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

In the dialog box that pops up initially for SqlPlus, do i need the whole hostname.domain for the Host string? (eg: caldera.chem.uga.edu)

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
--zahid

--

Zahid A. Khan
CS Junior | ChemE Computer Assistant ICQ UIN: 4103995 | Phone:(404) 892 4886 Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 12:33:43 CDT