EMC & oracle required kernel parameters

From: <ngroves_at_ndsuk.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:12:02 GMT

I've got an HP580 with an EMC attached & I've just finished installing Oracle 7.3.4.0

The installation manual says that the HP kernel parameter fs_async must be set to 0 on the system. On our system it's set to 1 (we're not sure why - investigations are ongoing).

Oracle suggest that if it's set to 1, there are problems in verifying writes to the disk & possible corruption may occur. I have a problem seeing this as with an EMC the application (oracle) is talking to the disk director which in turn communicates over fibre channel to a thumping big cache. The EMC then handles the writing etc. when its convenient to itself so Oracle never sees the disks directly.

Does anyone have any experience with this kit who can advise me please?

many thanks
nigel groves
DBA/ data warehouse architect
NDS UK Ltd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 10:12:02 CDT