Re: sqlplus and using the slash as login and password

From: Shayne <paddock_at_sourceworks.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:29:27 GMT

> In either case, the Oracle account should be altered to IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY.

I am interested in OS authentication for our Oracle database. I figured it would be easier to have the OS authenticate so that password management
in scripts would be easier.

What are the downsides to having the OS (solaris) authenticate the user instead of Oracle doing it. Which is more "secure".

I found the section on Impossible Passwords quite fascinating but was left wondering why that would be necessary since the user has already logged in to their Unix account, when would that password come into play?

> Second, if you want to allow OS authentication over a network, there's the
> parameter REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT. That's what you'd set to true. Be careful with that
> though.

Can you elaborate more on the setting "REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT"... I couldn't find it
referenced in the Handbook, even a page number in for the Oracle Press, Oracle DBA Handbook would be handy.

Thanks,

Shayne Paddock Received on Mon Jul 19 1999 - 11:29:27 CDT