Re: How did you get your original Oracle Job experience.

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:45:53 -0400

I was a Senior Developer working for a software development firm when I got the assignment of evaluating and comparing Oracle to the ISAM system we were then using. One thing led to another and I soon became an Oracle developer.

Subsequently, I was running some Oracle development projects and discovered that my developers knew nothing about data base administration and decided to take care of the DBA work myself. The next thing I knew I was a full-time DBA (It pays better than project management).

Given the scarcity of DBA's these days, when looking for a DBA these days I would be willing to interview anyone with some DBA experience that can breathe or train a developer.

As far as Oracle developers are concerned it depends on how much I am looking to spend. Last year I hired six Oracle developers to staff a new group. I hired two senior people, two intermediate level people, and two relatively inexperienced people. One serious problem I encountered was that qualified developers weren't on the market very long. Well over a third of the people whose resumes were forwarded to me by HR had already taken jobs elsewhere by the time I contacted them.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

Roger wrote in message ...
>How did any of you get your foot in the door to gain the
experience you