Re: the difference between data warehouse, datamart, and just a database

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:18:16 -0400

Hi,

    This is the simplistic answer suitable for managers.

    Data warehouse - a specialized database containing historical data for an entire organization. The data warehouse is characterized by OLAP (On Line Analytical Processing) as opposed to OLTP (On Line Transaction Processing) of a conventional database.

    Datamart - a "mini" data warehouse containing historical data for one department of an organization. May be further limited to data related to a single function or group of functions performed by a department.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

kal_at_valistech.com wrote in message
<379023CD.BE08DFBB_at_valistech.com>...
>Could someone explain briefly what the differences are
architectually,