Re: Other precompilers besides Pro*C????

From: <jimstoll_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:56:47 GMT

You make a good point on the management issue. Fact is, nearly everyone _does_ have Perl freely available (visit www.perl.com), but certainly the management-tolerance issue is something beyond the control of us mere mortals.

I'm no Perl guru and have not the expertise, inclination nor proper forum for starting a Perl flame war, but my limited experience with it thus far has shown it to be a viable option for straight-forwardly solving certain problems that I would have previously attacked with Pro*C. I like it, have been permitted to use it, and have saved time and $$ by doing so.

I would certainly encourage anyone who may be able to use Perl, to explore its possible use - This is merely the suggestion of exploration of an alternative approach to solving a problem. There is, of course, no silver bullet that solves everyone's problems. Perl may not fit/please all, but it's not being palatable to one person is little justification for admonishing the mere suggestion that others consider it.

Jim Stoll

In article <378F1E9C.17899D1B_at_Unforgettable.com>,   BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com wrote:
> That pre-supposes that everyone has Perl available. In the corporate
world
> we must deal with change-control management, security, standardization
and
> sometimes the limitations of what management will allow. I've been
working
> in the UNIX world since 1994 and I have yet to work in a production
> environment where Perl is allowed. As a result I must work with
"approved"
> tools such as Pro-C. Management just doesn't trust freeware that has
not
> undergone thorough security testing and they don't want to trust their
data
> to programming languages which don't have an established validation
suite or
> IEEE standards.
>
> Are there other programmers out there who work under similar
> restrictions?????
>
> Ken
>
> jimstoll_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > We recently did some stuff in Perl that we would've historically
done in
> > Pro*C - Man! What a difference - it's quick and simple using the
Perl
> > DBI and DBD-Oracle modules (available at www.perl.com/CPAN). I can
see
> > where Pro*C might be better than Perl in some cases in terms of
speed,
> > but it'll be a l-o-n-g time before I choose Pro*C over Perl -
> > productivity is orders of magnitude greater! :-)
> >
> > Might want to check it out!
> >
> > Jim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Mon Jul 19 1999 - 07:56:47 CDT