Connect By Woes

From: Martin Douglas <Martin.Douglas_at_Boeing.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:55:23 GMT

Hello,

I have a hierarchical tree of information that needs to track parentage while simulataneously tracking sibling order within all parents. The design I use is such that

	each root node has a parent of null (many roots -- many nulls)
	each first sibling has a previous of null (only one such null per
parent)

I have finally managed to write a single SQL call involving CONNECT BY to retrieve the tree ordered correctly by parent and iteratively by sibling order under each parent. It was far too mind taxing (and time) to generate the thing.

Does anyone know if Oracle 8.1.5 has extended CONNECT BY to something like...

        CONNECT BY (PARENT_ID = PRIOR SELF_ID, PREVIOUS_ID = PRIOR SELF, ...) AND ... Thanks in advance.

FYI: I wrote my sql statement in 7.3.3 through 8.0.5 Received on Fri Jul 16 1999 - 23:55:23 CDT