Re: Migrating from Access to Oracle

From: Gary O'Keefe <gary_at_onegoodidea.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:48:59 GMT

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:28:50 -0400, "Arvin Meyer" <a_at_m.com> wrote:

>Michael Ho wrote in message <37877313.F298D59_at_hk.super.net>...
>>
>>Personally I think for that price, Oracle is very competitive towards SQL
>>Server. But the benefit is huge, Oracle is the market leader afterall.
>>Try to compare a Ferrari with a Honda.
>
>I couldn't resist the analogy. A Honda is a medium to low-priced vehicle
>that can be depended upon to give you daily service for 150K miles or more,
>with very little expense. A Ferrari cannot be depended upon to drive around
>the block without breaking down. The repair costs on a Ferrari can easily
>exceed the total cost of a Honda within a year (certainly within 2 years) So
>if Oracle is the Farrari, I'll take the Honda (SQL-Server) any day.

Hmmm... I think a better analogy would be Access is a cut and shut job, bits of cobbled together accident-damaged old cars strapped together with sticky tape, bailing wire, wax, sweat, and a respray. It falls apart at the slightest nudge and spoils your day by unceremoniously dumping you and your data in the technology fast lane right in the path of a big articulated truck. Oracle would be the big articulated truck.

Gary
--
Gary O'Keefe
gary_at_onegoodidea.com

You know the score - my current employer has nothing to do with what I post Received on Thu Jul 15 1999 - 03:48:59 CDT