Re: Other precompilers besides Pro*C????

From: <jimstoll_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:17:24 GMT

We recently did some stuff in Perl that we would've historically done in Pro*C - Man! What a difference - it's quick and simple using the Perl DBI and DBD-Oracle modules (available at www.perl.com/CPAN). I can see where Pro*C might be better than Perl in some cases in terms of speed, but it'll be a l-o-n-g time before I choose Pro*C over Perl - productivity is orders of magnitude greater! :-)

Might want to check it out!

Jim

In article <378DC91F.81DCF1D3_at_Unforgettable.com>,   BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com wrote:
> What you need to do is learn how to use dynamic sql. It is well
documented
> in the manuals.
>
> Ken
>
> shockerman_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of any other precompilers like Pro*C that would
work
> > with Oracle 7.3 and would maybe allow me to use a host variable
within
> > a DDL statement. I'm getting that error in Pro*C when I try to do
> > something like:
> >
> > EXEC SQL create table :tablenamefromc (rid number);
> >
> > The exact error is here.
> >
> > Parser error at line 66, column 24, file
> > c:\practice\finals\byday\byday.pc:
> > EXEC SQL create table :sorted (rid number);
> > (1) PCC-S-02206, Host variables are not permitted within a DDL
statement

> > If you don't specifically know if this will work in another compiler
> > could you suggest it anyways so I can find out. Thanks.
> > James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 15 1999 - 17:17:24 CDT