Re: INDEX CREATE

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:59:20 -0400

I don't see the advantage of a second index that is defined exactly the same as the first except for the Unique feature. The only time that the unique constraint is applied is during updates and inserts, otherwise it functions just like any other index.

The NOWAIT occurred because as of the time you tried to execute the CREATE INDEX there were outstanding (i.e. uncommitted) transactions on the table. You need quiessence before you can create the index. However, even if you had not gotten the NOWAIT you would have received an error saying that an index has already been defined for those columns.