Data Loading - Question and Advice requested

From: Mike M. <okana_at_msn.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:57:51 -0700

Since the Direct Data Load feature is still not available for version 8.x I have a couple querries for the programmers and support people out there.

  1. Is there a way to use the /nologging switch in a SQL insert statement even though you are not using direct data loading? We are constantly adding 100K to 200K records for a telemarketing database about once or twice a week are we do not need the archive logs to keep track of that - it's wasted space. And since we do the loads at night it's a pain for someone to log in and bounce the database to turn off the logging before the loads kick off. (And that is assuming there is an open phone line to dial into.) The data is currently being loaded via VB from a text file. (FYI - doing it in code is no slower than the current speed of SQL loader in Oracle.)
  2. Since Orace has been dragging their feet fixing the Direct Data Load feature, I am assuming there must be better tools out there somewhere that can perform the same function(s)?? Does anyone have any advice or preferences on tools they use to move data quickly and seamlessly into a table(s)?

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

Mike Milliron
okana_at_msn.com Received on Thu Jul 15 1999 - 09:57:51 CDT