Re: Explicit Data Conversion

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:26:33 -0400

There are so many different ways that data conversion is performed implicitly that it would boggle your mind.

For example, if you perform the following:

insert into mytable (datecol) values ('31-may-65');

and 'datecol' is defined as a date, then the '31-may-65' will be implicitly converted to the internal date format.

or, if you do the following:

insert into mytable (numcol) values ('100');

and 'numcol' is defined as NUMBER(5) then '100' will be implicitly converted to the internal numeric format.

likewise, if you do the following:

insert into mytable (charcol) values (100);

and 'charcol' is defined as VARCHAR2(5) then the value 100 will be converted to the character string '100'.

There are lots and lots of other examples and if you've been around Oracle for a while you have probably used implicit conversions without even being aware of it.

Ken