Re: DBA Question Oracle 8

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:40:48 -0400

Hi John,

    If I understand your question the answer is no.

    I assume that you are concerned about running hot backups. If this is the case you want to flag the existing archives, run the backup, delete the flagged archives and then resume normal operations. The reason for flagging the archives is so that you won't delete those created while the backup is running.

    If you are running cold backups you don't have to flag the archives. Just make sure that your database has been shutdown using either shutdown normal or shutdown immediate, run your backup, and then (if you are brave and have full and complete confidence in your backup and recovery procedures, your tape drives, etc.) delete all of the archive logs.

 regards
Jerry Gitomer