Re: Slightly off topic question

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:27:40 -0400

Hi Jonathon,

    Given that there is almost no market for entry level DBAs and that the vast majority of DBAs were developers before they became DBAs I think you should become an Oracle programmer.

    Go to the Oracle website www.oracle.com, go to free trials, and either download (140MB) or order the CD for Oracle 8i. Then start programming using nothing but SQL*Plus so that you can learn the differences between the set oriented operations of an RDBMS as compared to the record processing of COBOL. After you become comfortable with SQL*Plus you should also learn PL/SQL which will enable you to use your 3GL record at a time programming skills when working with Oracle.

regards
Jerry Gitomer

<378cadc5$0$3843_at_fountain.mindlink.net>...