formatting my results

From: <chienli_at_uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:47:31 GMT

Hi I was wondering how I can format my results from an query executed in Oracle.
In a SQL statement where it is SELECT item1 item2 item3 from..., the defaulted result returned to you by SQLPLUS looks like

ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3
----- ----- -----
data1 data2 data3
data4 data5 data6

But I would like the result to look like
"data1","data2","data4"
"data4","data5","data6"

I know I can use '"' to add the quotes and 'heading off' to get rid of the column heading, but I can't seem to get the spacing right, using either rtrim or ltrim it still leaves me some unwanted spaces. Can someone who is more familiar with Oracle help me out on this one?

thanks
chienli

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jul 14 1999 - 14:47:31 CDT