A few Oracle 8i questions

From: Tyler McEwan <sheep_at_poboxes.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 13:37:26 -0400

Although I have never used Oracle before, I have done database work before (Access 97, old Fox Pro and old dBase). I have a few ideas of what I want to do with a database, but was wondering if some users could give me a couple of answers. You'll notice quite quick I haven't dealt with online databases yet. Thanks.

  1. When I was looking at pricing on the web site, the title indicated V8 and V8i. Is there a difference or did they just screw up?
  2. What is the price of V8i (preferrably in Canadian $) for one user - personal edition. I can't seem to find it anywhere. If the planned web site takes off, I will likely need to upgrade, but I have little start up capital.
  3. Is it all it is cracked up to be. I can't seem to find any reviews, what is your HONEST opinion of it. Especially when it comes to running Internet databases.
  4. My plans are for a purely Internet database. Can I run the database live from a web site? i.e. add, edit, delete from it, not just view? If I do work offline will it synchronize with the online version (as online users will be adding information too).
  5. Do I need to be using an ISP or web site host that has special software installed, or do I need to install any 'plug-ins' in a CGI bin to make it work.

As you can see, I just starting and need input. If you have any information regarding it beyond what I have asked, I would greatly appreciate that as well.

Thanks,
Tyler McEwan.
sheep_at_poboxes.com
http://www.poboxes.com/sheep Received on Wed Jul 14 1999 - 12:37:26 CDT