Re: Oracle on NT

From: Fuzzy <granta_at_nospam.student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:36:28 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:35:58 GMT, cnsxxx09_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm used to Oracle on UNIX but have had more NT based wk thrust upon me.
>
>What is the 'Service' OracleServiceSID actually for, what does it do?
>it seems to start Oracle & the database.

It is the service for the Oracle process. Without it, there's no way to keep Oracle running between logouts/logins on the machine.

>But starting Oracle from ServerManager alone fails, and when shutting
>down a database from ServerManager the service is still running.

ServerManager fails because there is no process for it to connect to. By default, the OracleStartSID starts the process, and the instance, including an open. If you want better control over this, change the cmd script that OracleStartSID uses to only start the service, and then use ServerManager to mount/open/close/unmount as desired.

Ciao
Fuzzy