Re: Data Modeling Tools

From: <stan_herrman_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:42:43 GMT

I believe the previous post has it spelled out correctly: If one is looking for just a data modeling tool, then I'm sure that ERwin is the best.

However, one thing DBA's and Data Modelers always forget is: The reason to create a data model, is that an application will be built on top of it.

That's where Designer/2000 is a better tool. Its been a while since I used ERwin, but I doubt it integrates the database constraints with client- side constraint validation. I doubt ERwin uses data model information to build LOV's (and validation of) in the client app. I also doubt that ERwin has any support for constructing API's to protect database tables from improper access.

So, if you just want data modeling, then pick a best-of-breed data modeling product. If your a developer like me, then you should look closer at the integrated CASE products.

Stan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 14:42:43 CDT