Re: using LONG with LIKE 'x%'

From: Rick Osterberg <osterber_at_fas.harvard.edu>
Date: 13 Jul 1999 04:05:51 GMT

Can't select against a LONG datatype in Oracle, even Oracle8. You can't have a LONG field in a WHERE clause. I faced the same problem. I'm looking into (and you should, too), the Oracle ConText server, which allows you do do thing like

SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE CONTAINS(my_long_field, 'search_string', >0)

It appears to be quite powerful. (And probably expensive... I'm told we already own it on my site fortunately.)

-Rick

sgolamco_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Using Oracle8. My SELECT * from tablename where LONG column LIKE 'x%'
> is returning error message - "ORA-00932 inconsistent datatype". Is
> this a limitation of the LONG datatype or it should work but I'm not
> doing it right? If should work, then how?

> TIA,
> Steve

|                 Rick Osterberg   osterber_at_fas.harvard.edu                |