Re: Triggers or application code? Which is more efficient?

From: WolfAlpha <wolfalpha_spamguard_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 02:51:40 GMT

For a data load process (if it is a lot of data), my personal preference is to use SQL*Loader to slam all the data into staging tables as quickly as possible and then use stored procedures/packages to manipulate the data as needed. However, if you are already using some developed dataload software, I would determine whether or not the normal system users would need to be restricted to these same business rules when modifying data (unless the users only access the database in a read-only fashion). If they do need to follow these rules, I would use the triggers (unless the system is such a heavily updated system that I think extra constraints would hinder performance). Hope this outside perspective helps.

Jeff S