Re: sqlplus problem - more on security

From: <rtproffitt_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 16:33:25 GMT

Sorry for the confusion...

The whole process was controlled by a script in crontab...typical "search for flag" type of deal... Once the control script found the flag it would launch the main script.

The main script would call the sub_script (controlled by userid) which sets the environment variables. Then the main script would call any necessary sub-processes to get the work done, in our case Pro/C, Loader and SQL/PLUS. The key is that a person's session never gets the user/pass variables published, and the command line substitutions are NEVER done at the user prompt, but only INSIDE another script...So I believe the history will only show the name of the original script file which was launched and not anything inside the script file. Even if a person could see the name of the main script file and even if they could list it, they still would not see the user/pass, because these are inside the sub-script, which has explicitly been set to 700 (no group, no world, only the user).

Hope this helps a little.
Robert Proffitt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Jul 08 1999 - 11:33:25 CDT