Re: General Database Terminology Question -- Mapping one table into another

From: Dave Abercrombie <abe_at_rahul.net>
Date: 8 Jul 1999 01:23:20 GMT

In article <3783ABEA.22F10E35_at_geopak.com>, Paul Schrum <Paul_at_geopak.com> wrote:
{ My question has to do with the terminology of this practice. I use the
{ CORRELATION table in a query to filter elements based on their filter.
{ In conversations with my collegues, we call the CORRELATION table a
{ "mapping". But in giving a presentation to about 150 people, I want to
{ be sure I am using the correct word. Is "mapping" the proper term, or
{ should I use something else?

The IDEF1X term is "associative entity" or "associative table". But most likely your 150 people have not heard of IDEF1X either, so "mapping" might be better anyway.

Dave Abercrombie          (510) 653-1204          122 15.23' W
abe_at_rahul.net                                      37 50.97' N